The holiday season provides a wonderful opportunity for family members to spend quality time with the seniors they love. And, it’s also the ideal time to make sure that the holidays will be just as safe for your senior loved ones as they are celebratory. Since there are a variety of fall risks and other safety concerns that arise at this time of year for the elderly, our in-home care professionals have compiled the following holiday safety tips for seniors:
Tips for Decorating:
Consider the following throughout the home when setting out holiday decorations:
- Choose simple decorations, and avoid adding clutter. Never block any walkways in and between rooms, so there is plenty of space to walk around without risk of a fall.
- Make sure extension cords are placed securely against walls and away from walking paths to avoid creating a tripping hazard.
- Rather than lighting candles, opt for bright, cheerful centerpieces of flowers or fruit, or utilize battery-operated candles.
Tips for Lighting:
Although of course bright holiday lights are beautiful, they can also be dangerous. Keep these lighting tips in mind for older adults:
- Ensure that all areas throughout the home are always well lit. Softer holiday lights can hide fall hazards and make it difficult to see around objects in the home.
- Use a nightlight in the bathroom, bedroom, and other rooms the senior may visit during the night, and make sure light switches are easily accessible.
Tips for Floors:
Adding holiday decorations to the home adds fall risks as well, so be sure to:
- Make sure floors are clear of objects that may obstruct a senior’s path.
- Keep sidewalks around the home clear.
- Rearrange furniture to make it easy to walk around.
- Secure slip-proof pads beneath rugs – or better yet, do away with throw rugs altogether.
- Keep active pets calm and securely away from areas of the home where the senior will be ambulating.
- Set apart a designated area for children to play with their new toys while older adults are visiting.
It’s vitally important to pay careful attention to the care needs of your older loved ones throughout the holiday season so that their home, or yours, is always as safe and enjoyable as possible.
For additional holiday safety tips for older adults, or for information on our senior care services, contact Senior Home Care of Tucson. Our professional Catalina home health care care team can create a customized care solution designed to meet your loved one’s needs, and improve quality of life right in the comfort of home. Call us at 520-355-4787 to find out if our services are available in your area.