Summertime can be a fun time to enjoy the sun and being outdoors. But for older adults, the summer heat can also lead to issues such as dehydration and overheating. When the intense July heat makes us all want to stay indoors, how can older adults keep cool while still having fun? It’s possible to have a wonderful summer indoors with a variety of air-conditioned summer activities for seniors.
If you’re looking for something new to do to escape the summer heat, try some of these indoor activities for seniors:
Enjoy movement – Keep active while building strength.
- Go swimming at an indoor pool to enjoy the feeling of swimming outdoors without the additional heat.
- Try a yoga class to stretch and stay active.
- Walk at the mall. Many shopping malls even have walking clubs before the mall opens to the public.
- Use indoor exercise equipment, or join a gym to walk on a treadmill.
- Put on some music and dance! Or find a local dance studio or senior center that offers classes for adults to learn how to put a new spring in your step.
Go out while staying in – Visit special places in your community for a change of scenery and new activities.
- Visit the public library for books, audiobooks, movies, and more. Libraries serve as community centers with something for everyone, including programs, concerts, book discussion groups, and speakers on a variety of interesting topics. Many libraries also offer summer reading programs for adults to encourage reading throughout the summer.
- Go to a museum to explore art, science, history, or whatever sparks your interest.
- Take in a movie at home or at the theater.
- Check out the local senior center for programs, classes, social events, and other activities. Some senior centers may even arrange field trips to museums and other locations.
- Enjoy a concert or play at a local theater.
- Visit animals at a pet store or area animal shelter.
- Go online and take a virtual tour of your favorite travel destinations, museums, and attractions.
Get a taste of the indoors – Kitchens and local restaurants provide both a place to entertain and nourish.
- Try a new recipe, and invite friends or family over to share it with you. Meals and desserts make great gifts to bring to neighbors too.
- Explore local restaurants to find new favorites.
- Host luncheons, or invite friends or family over for iced tea.
Be creative – Staying indoors on a hot, sunny day is the perfect opportunity to create something.
- Knit, crochet, quilt, or sew. Consider joining a local craft group to enjoy your hobby with friends. Senior centers and libraries are good places to check for craft groups that meet regularly.
- Create a scrapbook of photographs and memorabilia to capture special events and family memories.
- Take an art class at a local art studio, craft store, or community organization to expand your creative skills.
- Decorate or organize your home to make the space more enjoyable.
- Make holiday or birthday gifts for family and friends. It’s never too early to get a jump start on the holidays!
Have fun with a hobby — No matter your age, you can always be playful and find new interests to enjoy.
- Host a game day with friends or family. Play favorite games, such as chess, cards, or board games, or try something new. Many community groups offer gaming clubs too.
- Try a video game as an exciting way to connect with grandchildren.
- Dive into a good book, audiobook, or e-book.
- Learn a new language, or take a history class.
- Put together a jigsaw puzzle.
For more ideas for summer activities for seniors or to help an older loved one enjoy the summer months safely, Senior HomeCare of Tucson can help. Our in-home caregivers in Tucson and the surrounding areas are available for companionship and to help seniors engage in fun activities anytime of the year. Our customizable home care services are designed to assist older adults while helping them live enriching lives in the comfort of home. Contact us today at (520) 355-4787 to learn more about our in-home care services in Tucson and the surrounding areas.