What comes to mind when you think of the holiday season? While many of us have visions of sugar plums dancing in our heads, for family caregivers, a more accurate depiction may be one of overwhelming stress. In addition to the everyday challenges of providing care for a senior loved one, you now need to factor in shopping for that perfect gift for each person on your list, baking everyone’s favorite classic treats, fitting in time for parties and get-togethers, and of course, making time for much-needed self-care.
At Senior HomeCare of Tucson, we fully understand how family caregivers often struggle through the holiday season, and have compiled the following tips to help eliminate stress for a happier holiday:
- Stick to a healthy diet.Sometimes, our first instinct when we’re feeling stressed is to overeat. Taking time to fix a healthy meal may not seem as easy as resorting to whatever is handy (fast food takeout, a bag of chips, cookies, etc.); but the healthier your diet, the better you’ll feel and the more energy you’ll have to get through the many tasks of the holidays. A healthy option can be as simple as picking up a vegetable and fruit tray from the grocery store or grabbing a cup of yogurt with a handful of berries and granola.
- Keep moving.Exercise is one of the best ways to eliminate stress, helping you sleep better and wake up feeling refreshed and ready to face the day. Routine exercise boosts both your physical and emotional wellbeing, and can help ease muscles that are tense from stress.
- Count sheep.Getting enough sleep may be easier said than done, particularly when caring for a loved one who has a propensity for wandering at night. Still, most people require six to eight hours of sleep each night for maximum health. Take time to nap during the day if needed, or call Senior HomeCare of Tucson. We can provide the professional home health aide Tucson family caregivers need to provide care through the overnight hours.
- Don’t forget to care for yourself!Providing care for someone you love can easily take top priority in your life, but outside interests, other relationships, and a way to escape from the stress of providing care are equally important. Make a standing lunch date with a friend or schedule a date night with your spouse at least once every week.
- Find support.If you’re feeling alone and isolated in your role as family caregiver, talking to others in similar circumstances can help you feel more connected. They’ll know firsthand what you’re up against and can offer practical advice from the perspective of someone who’s been there.
One of the best gifts you can provide to the senior in your care is to eliminate stress in your own life by taking good care of yourself, which in turn will enable you to offer better care to your loved one. And finding a trusted home health aide in Tucson and the surrounding area is a snap with Senior HomeCare of Tucson! We’re always on hand to provide the professional respite care you need to strike a healthy life balance, especially during the hectic pace of the holiday season. Contact us at 520-355-4787 to learn more! And from our family to yours, we wish you the happiest of holidays!